Key themes/phrases for this interview:
– Management of the company only acted to improve environmental and worker protection when pushed by the union or legislation.
– The goal of the company, like most in the increasingly globalized world, was to make money.
– “Poor management” — Managers were incompetent and were promoted far beyond their abilities.
– Getting involved with the union was meant to improve work conditions and wages.
– Despite most people hating their jobs, “All in all, it was a good place to work” — good community of workers, good benefits.